Sunday, August 25, 2019

Odds and ends


Not much excitement happening on the ranch this weekend. Every day, we harvest a few vegetables and I try to use them in our meals during the week.


For yesterday's breakfast, I cooked bacon chunks, grits and eggs for a "bowl breakfast," one of Sam's favorites. (We also add cheese, of course.)


Mom Vae always offers to help, but she's a little slow and distracts easily, so it's usually easier to do it myself! This morning, Sam made the bowl breakfast again, with the addition of sauteed okra. Yum!


Sam made sure we took a selfie of the three of us with our pill boxes. It's a senior citizen home!


We had another rattlesnake visitor the other day, up by our 5th wheel this time. It certainly got my adrenaline going for the morning. By the time I went looking for Sam's snake stick and returned, the snake had disappeared. I'm hoping he was passing through at a rapid pace.


As a result, my morning project was to start clearing the native growth from under the mesquite trees outside our front door. The brush seems to attract rodents and snakes, and I'm ready for them to be gone!

Later, Sam and I finished cementing the fence posts around the garden. It feels good to get a few things done.


I'll leave you with a photo of the pretty pinkish mesquite pods I've been seeing this year. The subtle color palette in Arizona's natural landscape has taught us to appreciate whatever colors God gives us.

I hope you all have a good week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pillbox brigade made me laugh out loud. ;O)
Nan

B Drechsel said...

I often sauté the okra with onions and garlic, add tomato at the end and cook until the tomatoes release all their good juices. Ohh, it's yummy with any chopped up leftover potatoes and sunny-side up fried eggs.